Monday, July 23, 2012

As If!


The Wordle

SUNDAY WHIRL

We are asked to use all the words in the Wordle

AS IF!

My girlhood was spent in a garden
Where all was sprayed with gold,
At least, that's how I remember it
Now I am very old.
*
I swing from a tall tree
My cheeks are bright and rosy.
I carry a spray of wild flowers;
A sweet and fragrant posy.
The grasses cover the meadow
Where pollen's powders lie.
A stray bee buzzes by me,
Then darts off in the sky.
I fling wide my arms to existence
Overcome with erotic glee.
This world is a heaven
And it all belongs to me!
*
Talk about self-deception!
I was pale and melancholy,
Standing at the bus-stop
In my glasses, with a brolly!
'Distance lends enchantment'
Isn't that what they say?
Youth wasn't very romantic!
 Three cheers for today!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT YET!

One day I'll try sushi, but not yet!
The very thought fills me with mal de mere.
I look at it in shops and start to sweat
At the thought of all the 'foreign-ess' in there.
Raw fish! I can't imagine how it tastes!
And someone mentioned seaweed once or twice!
All sorts of strange and oriental pastes
Made to appear as normal by the rice.
My grandsons salivate at just the thought
Of 'Sushi for supper' and they shout 'Yippee!'
But I will, here and now, loudly report
That sushi is, for certain, not for me!
*


1 comment:

Margaret Gosden said...

I have begun to eat shredded veggies and advocado strips wrapped in rice paper dipped into a tangy sauce, as an alternative way to eat less meat and potatoes or pastas - for weight reasons! Quite a filling substitute that switching to salads only doesn't provide. At the thought of raw fish, I still draw the line!