Monday, March 19, 2012

The Prude


 

THE PRUDE

A woman who tended to brood
On anything sexy or nude.
Would slam shut a book
Saying 'I cannot look
At anything crude, rude or lewd!'
*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

BUBBLEGUM

I've never chewed on bubblegum;
I've never had the pleasure
Of blowing a big sticky ball
Almost too large to measure.
I've never tasted the colour pink,
Or learned the art of blowing;
I've never seen the bubble grow
Filled with air to overflowing.
I've never felt the bubble burst
All flatly on my face.
I've never peeled the remnants off,
Every elongated trace.
*
But I have worn a gas-mask;
That was my childhood thrill,
And I remember it clearly; I think I always will.
Childhood is a joyful time
Whatever the circumstance
And my childhood was a wartime one,
By pure historical chance.
And I remember the air-raid shelters,
Where children sat in rows,
Each child with a gas-mask
Covering it's nose.
We made such glorious noises,
Lavatory noises really,
Blowing bubbles at each other.
I still hear us clearly!
Now young people blow their bubbles
Of a peaceful sort of pink;
In my childhood I did the same.
I'm glad there is a link.
*

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good thoughts about bad happenings! :) I liked it a whole lot!

I also appreciated your 'Prude' limerick. Perfectly (constructed??) and terribley funnny yet real.

Congrats on the play. Church plays are fun to do.
..
I added a comment to Grandma's post and copied it to my comments explaining why I came to use the theme that I did. It came from a WWII experience told by a friend of mine.
Thank you for inquiring. I would like for you to read one of the comments.
..