Saturday, January 28, 2012

Opening Gambit


MIXED BAG
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/
asks for a poem involving conversation


OPENING GAMBIT

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?'
*
It seemed a really clever thing to say.
*
Now here I have to make a true confession.
I was out to make a really good impression.
I'd seen her several times and thought her tasty
But I knew I couldn't win if I were hasty.
An opening gambit had to be just right.........
Now, luckily, at school I was quite bright.
In English I was always best in class.
 I got distinctions, others  a mere pass.
So why not use my mastery of words
To get  little toe-in with the birds.
*
I used my Richard Burton voice to say
 'Shall I compare thee to a summers day?'
*
Her answer, when it came, was quite a blow!
She simply sort of winced and answered
'No'.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------

DAHLING!

I was driving to the supermarket one day just last week
When I ran into an old school-friend and I slowed down to speak.
I hadn't seen that friend of mine since nineteen sixty three.
And I have to say she really shattered my equinamity!
She was slim and she was gorgeous! Her skin was smooth and creamy;
Her hair was blond and full of bounce; her eyes were soft and dreamy.
She wore high heels, showing off her legs, which were elegant and slim;
Her waistline, clinched by a narrow belt, was wonderfully trim!
Her clothes looked most expensive, yes, in the latest styles.
I could only guess at her husband's job; it was clear that he earned piles!
Her neck was quite unblemished, not a wrinkle, not a scar,
You could see, from the way she twinkled, that she knew she was a star.
'You haven't changed a bit' she said, no doubt with her fingers crossed!
I felt my 'Thanks a lot' response held more than a touch of frost.
Yes, I ran into an old school-friend and it caused me so much pain,
That I revved up the old Toyota
And ran into her again!
*

---------------------------------------------------------------------
PS
We tried-out a new cafe for afternoon tea yesterday, after our rehearsal (which, incidentally, wasn't the best). This was the Carwash Cafe. I'd never heard of it. It's just the cafe attached to the local car-wash. (Malcolm washes ours.) I think it came into being as a place to relax while the experts washed the car, but other people use it and it's really very pleasant. This photo is for Pam and Joy, who check-out my blog sometimes.

Joy, Ros, Pam, Yvonne and Betty

7 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Enjoyed both of them... and as far as the woman goes, I'm sure she's paid a pretty penny to look like that.

Mary said...

I love both of these!! Both conversations brightened my day. I really laughed at the ending of the first one; and with the second one, of course it would have been an 'accident,' right?

laveta'splace said...

Love your poems, love your site. I agree with Laurie, she probably paid a lot to look good. I've often thought that when seeing someone from my past.

Kay L. Davies said...

Perfect for the conversation prompt, Brenda.
And I'd have to try out the Car Wash Cafe, too. I love the Joe Croce song "Workin' at the Carwash Blues."
I hate to think how long it's been since anyone washed my car.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I love the witty conversation poem......love the wince and the "No". Perfect!

Isadora Gruye said...

such a clever end to an expected inquiry. viva la

Margaret said...

Loved them both... laughed at the cleverness of both!