Thursday, February 10, 2011

Red Sails


  RED SAILS

Lady Fame is a fickle creature;
She simply picks and chooses.
Some she showers with accolades;
Some she covers in bruises.
Some are famous and don't deserve it!
Some should be and are not.
Some are left out in the cold;
Others blaze burning hot.
Take 'my' man, Jimmy Kennedy....
'Jimmy who?' I hear you say.
You know Kern and Gershwin;
They're famous, still, today.
But poor old Jimmy Kennedy;
His is a forgotten name,
Yet he wrote such lovely ballads
That it really seems a shame.
So here's a song to honour him;
A parody of praise;
To someone whose flame just flickers,
When I feel it should blaze.
*
To the well-known tune
Red Sails in the Sunset

"Red Sails in the Sunset",
A song made to last
That we have remembered
As years have gone past.
A melody lilting,
And words that are sweet,
That singers have chosen
Repeat on repeat.
Who thinks of the writer?
Who knows of his name?
Those songs he created
Should have determined his fame.
"Red Sails in the Sunset";
We whistle it yet,
Remembering lyrics
Though names we forget.

Jimmy Kennedy was Irish through and through, although he is usually considered to have been American. He was born in Portstewart, in Derry, which I have visited,  and a memorial to him and his famous song has been erected there.

 Jimmy Kennedy memorial Portstewart.

Jimmy Kennedy.
He wrote two thousand songs. These are a few of them:
"South of the Border" .  "We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the Siegfried Line" "The Isle of Capri", "My Prayer", "Teddy Bears' Picnic" "Hokey Cokey" and "Roll Along Covered Wagon".
*
---------------------------------------------------------------



TOM AND JERRY!
(An Acrostic)

Tom-cat, with the bristling whiskers,
Off to catch some mousy friskers,
Maybe you should think awhile.......
*
Are mice worth going that extra mile?
Nearly isn't good enough!
Dinner may prove rather tough!
*
Jerry Mouse is quick and cute!
Eat a dinner of juicy fruit!
Reject all thoughts of mouse-tail soup!
Remember! He'll make you loop the loop!
You'll find the effort not to nice!
Better keep way from mice!
*

5 comments:

Kat said...

RED SAILS: You've written a blazing tribute about Jimmy Kennedy. Thanks for letting us know about him.

TOM AND JERRY: Across ages this cartoon is still a favourite.

SquirrelQueen said...

So often the person who wrote the song is overshadowed by the song itself. Great tribute to Jimmy Kennedy.

My Mind's Eye said...

Great tribute to a beautiful song.
You are very talented with words.
Madi and Mom

Hootin Anni said...

I love this song....I was just tellin' Bud how I wish just once before I die, I WOULD see red sails.

Lovely tribute

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, Brenda, wonderful information about the lyricist who wrote Red Sails in the Sunset. I was very young, and this is one of the first songs I can remember hearing on the radio.
I remember my father telling me about the "washing on the Siegfried Line" song, too.
Good stuff.
-- K