Wednesday, February 25, 2009

314. Flash!



I have packed the robot in the cupboard now I have returned from my cruise.
(There will be photos of this adventure on my PLUS blog in due course.)


OLD LADY LINCOLN first published this gentle little story and I asked her permission to 'rime' it.
 Here it is as my 'F' contribution to ABC WEDNESDAY.


See my PLUS blog for my pictorial 'F' offering.



FLASH!


We were walking home from the park one day,
 Little Kate, my grandaughter, and I,
When I saw great storm clouds
 Rolling in out of an angry sky.
Great purple billows loomed our way,
 Thunder-rollings filled the air,
And lightning flashed in the distance,
 But she didn't turn a hair!
Kate is four and a nervous child
 So I took her hand in mine
Hoping to reassure her,
Although she seemed just fine.
The first great drops of heavy rain
Began to tumble down,
While the storm grew in intensity
 As we quickly walked to town.
The lightning flashes multiplied
 And seemed a growing threat.
I looked down at Kate's little face.....
 Was she nervous yet
With the thunder and the lightning,
The frightening boom and crash?
She said 'Wait a minute, Granny!
 There goes another flash!'
She smiled the very widest smile:
It shone just like the sun!

And said

'God is taking my photo!
 Granny! This is fun!'

14 comments:

Jinksy said...

'Flash, bang, wallop, what a picture, what a photograph!' as Tommy Steele once sang...

Darlene said...

Just wonderful. I loved it!

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

What a sweet litle story. It makes me smile. I had to tell my granschildren what tunder and flash is now.Thank you, and have a fun abc.

Carolina said...

Very nice! You are clever!

Winifred said...

Out of the mouths of babes as they say. Lovely.

Hope you had a great cruise, dying to see your pictures.

Jane Hards Photography said...

You have adapted the story so well in typical RR style.

Mari Meehan said...

Okay, I'm going to stray and add my own "f". FInally you are back. I'm so glad!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful little story. I LOVE it. Love it very much. Thank you for making me smile!

Rose said...

What a sweet story--there's nothing like a child's innocence. You've captured this so well in your poem, RR.

Kat said...

The poem's build up about the storm was really good.... such powerful words. Loved it.

And little Kate's bright answer, really startled me..!!

spacedlaw said...

That is so sweet. Clever of the girl to associate the different type of flashes.

Tumblewords: said...

Charming story -

Rune Eide said...

Children will be children - and we shall all be greatful for that.

PS Thank you for the very pleasant comment!

Pat - Arkansas said...

You've done a marvelous job with turning Old Lady Lincoln's tale into a very pleasant poem. :) Nice "F" post.