Saturday, November 22, 2008

205. Double Drummer




My Blog 119 introduced my first Australian cicada, the Cherry Nose, and I explained that I once wrote a childrens' musical play called 'Cicada Circus'. In it the children dressed as well-known cicadas and formed a circus on-stage. Here is another 'character'.





CICADA NUMBER TWO

DOUBLE DRUMMER



Loud bangs frighten babies!
Well, they never frightened me!
And I loved to hear a thunder-storm
When I was two or three!
I liked to hear the saucepan lids
When they were clashed together.
I liked to hear the front door slam
When there was windy weather.
I liked to hide beneath my bed
And jump out shouting Boo!
And when my Dad bought me a drum
I yelled and screamed for two!
I've heard the loudest sounds there are
And never even cried!
But I've never heard a canon roar
From way down deep INSIDE!
Please put me in a canon
And shoot me in the air!
The noise will make the people scream
But I'm certain I wont care.
The audience will love it,
Though they cover up their ears
And, as for me, I'll be so thrilled
When I hear them give Three Cheers!

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

The photo, until you look closely, looks like a little Indian! Or...I need my eyes checked! Lol.

Marja said...

I like this Great job. I think the kids will love it. I will read it to them

Kat said...

This poem sure is going to make the kids sit up... and make their fear of 'loud noises' go away... and probably appreciate it too?

sigh... my wife declares that she's beyond ready to manufacture a kid, for such nice poems to be told to them :))))