Tuesday, August 19, 2008

99. A Long Wait



I have just recovered from my second cataract operation and I now have twenty-twenty vision for the first time in my life! This is just one aspect of the great celebration!


A LONG WAIT

The Man-in-the-Moon held out on me
Till I was seventy-seven!
I never saw him beaming there
Out of a cloudless heaven.
Of course, I saw his smiling face
In many picture books,
So I was well-aquainted
With his chubby, rotund looks.
But when I looked up in the sky
I saw a faceless ball.
I never saw the Man-in-the-Moon
I never saw him at all.

I never saw the 'man-in-the-moon'
As applied to astronomy.
I never saw the hills and dales
I knew that I should see.
They spoke of craters and canals,
And every other topic,
But all I saw was a fuzzy blob
With eyes just too myopic.
I saw the photographs and charts
They pinned up on the wall,
But I never saw the continents,
I never saw them at all.

Till modern science did the trick
With a swift and sure incision
And for the first time in my life
I've twenty/twenty vision!
I trace the outlines of the shapes
And marvel as I see
The whole thing with my naked eye!
The lunar geography!
It really is a miracle
And it couldn't come too soon.
'It is the birthday of my life!'
I can see the Man-in-the-Moon!


7 comments:

Patty said...

Congratulations on having the surgery over with and all is well. Glad it went smoothly. My doctor said mine aren't bad enough, yet to require surgery. Thank goodness. My Mother had hers done about four years ago, and said she could see better than she had in years.

As for the man in the moon, according to Abe, he could never understand what everyone was talking about, until I pointed out to him, how it looks like a face. He finally can see it now. LOL

Indrani said...

Congratulations! Glad you are back with full vision. The lines reflect your joy of seeing the man in the moon.

Bear Naked said...

Congratulations Brenda.
Eyesight is such a miracle isn't it?
How wonderful that you have been given the chance for your *second sight.*
Also thanks for leaving your poem in my comments section.
Yes, I definitely wouldn't want to mix up all those superfoods together--they would be one mighty mess.

Bear((( )))

mrsnesbitt said...

Wonderful! So so pleased for you! Your poem was just so moving. I had a little tear for you. Thrilled.

Anonymous said...

Been there! done that! No T shirt, but who cares when you can see the Man in the Moon, and BTW thanks for the visit.

Kat said...

So wonderful to see your delight.

And I think you have a 360 degree vision, whether you see the man-in-the-moon or not..!!!!!

storyteller said...

How WONDERFUL ;-)
Celebrations are certainly in order! Marvelous piece ... you make me want to write again myself.
Hugs and blessings,